Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sundays in Paonia Coloraado are awesome!

The day had been long on Saturday what with the miles covered and the subject-matter subjugation on a whole host of topics ranging from soaringly intellectual right down to the satisfaction of the gullet, i.e. Sunday I was tired. Aunt Suzanne and I ate a light breakfast strapped the bikes on her car and headed for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, man what a sight. Driving up to the rim you'd never know that there would be such a gapping slash in the mantle of our earth. Having not yet seen the Grand Canyon I think this one might take the cake in a few regards, I believe that it is one of few canyon's whose sides are taller than the distance between the rims hence the name "Black" because the walls are almost always in shadow.
When we headed back to the compound we stopped in a couple places to see if the famed rocker/cowboy Joe Cocker was to be seen but no he wasn't. We did however find some great fruits and vegetables, the western slope of the Rockies and therefore Colorado are known for many wonderful varieties, which we promptly ate upon setting home. The next project was the window into the wall of the Art Shed/Studio which went rather quickly what with the promise of some nano-brewery beer from right there in Paonia down the street around the corner and bellied up to the plywood bar and mason jar glassed. Yes sir y bob I thinks its the fastest window I've ever put in. The brewery was small but they knew their craft pretty darn well and were brewing to my estimation the "greenest" beer you can find in the country.
Last event of the day was playing the open-mic at the local bar/pizza joint which advertised with a foldout sandwich board on the side walk. We got there about 8:00 and I ended up playing for a good hour they kept askin for another song, well we hung around and heard some of the other acts and before long the place cleared out and me and the owner were havin a jam session. Turns out he's a luthier that builds about 3 guitars a year and owns the bar on the side, or the other way around I'm not sure which is the side business, I had him take a look at my little lady (my guitar) to see how she was on the trip and she got the a-o-k. We bumbled home after the beers on top of beers sequence that the day had taken both of us enriched and floating from good people and libation abounding. I really did like Paonia and cannot wait to head back through when the time is right. That reminds me I do have a standing invitation to play at the pizza joint when I do roll back through so I guess that means I'm gonna.
I love Sundays in Colorado

No comments: