Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Big Board D.C.

    
    When I told my mother that I was headed to H Street North East in Washington D.C. for the first night of my tour her response was as if I had said Camden, NJ a.k.a. notoriously dangerous.   You see she grew up in and around our nation's capitol and I guess 50 years ago it wasn't the part of town a white kid like me would be wandering into unknown to play music.  These days that part of D.C. is almost like a fancier version of Park Slope in Brooklyn with all varieties of night clubs, bars and boutique restaurants and one in particular that has a unique take the buying power of beer drinkers. 
  The Big Board was started by the brothers Flannery as an exercise in free market economic principals and drinking beer!  I will not attempt a review here as I didn't have a chance to eat any food between rushing to the gig (see last post) and then the kitchen being closed after I was finished playing.  I am very much looking forward to heading back to this place and enjoying some food and beer! 
So many things were great about this night besides the things I missed... first off it was a night of reunions and new acquaintances. The man responsible for lining up this show for me and also being kind enough to give me his couch for the night was my across-the-street neighbor in Berkeley Heights.  Also present from the old neighborhood was my good friend AJ (who blogs about life) who brought a number of friends out to occupy the upstairs bar.... some other new friends that may or may not have some great contacts for me! ... :) 
Next up... the long drive to Myrtle Beach! 

No comments: